Leiths School of Food and Wine, London
Leiths School of Food and Wine, London.
Established by Prue Leith in 1975 and is the most prestigious and respected cookery school in the country. Leiths is also a founder member of ICSA, holding an ‘Academy Member’ rating as one of the select group of ICSA schools to run cookery courses leading to professional qualifications.
Known far and wide, Leiths School of Food and Wine is the gold standard in cookery schools. Established in 1975 by culinary greats Prue Leith and Caroline Waldegrave, Leiths has become the most prestigious and respected school in the country. As well as running a broad range of classes and courses for amateurs, Leiths provides professional training to aspiring career cooks; some of the best chefs in the country started their journey here.
Leiths School of Food and Wine is on Wendell Road, to the east of Shepherd’s Bush and close to Ravenscort Park. It’s easily accessible by tube (via Stamford Brook, Goldhawk Road or Shepherd’s Bush), by bus (routes 94, 237 and 266) and by overground (Shepherd’s Bush, stop SJ). There’s also cashless parking nearby for those travelling by car.
Courses at Leiths take place in one of their four professional-style kitchens, where you can get a true flavour of how it’s done. These bright and modern spaces are kitted out with the industry’s best equipment, from modern Magimix blenders to state-of-the-art Gaggenau ovens. There’s also a purpose-build demonstration theatre, and a restaurant kitchen.
Leiths is staffed by a deeply passionate team of culinary experts, each of whom inspire, entertain, challenge and support all levels of learner. While Leiths’ dedicated staff will equip you with all the skills you need, there’s also a fun element to their classes, while diploma courses focus on nurturing the individual and creating tailored learning plans.
Leiths run courses for all levels of learner over a week, an evening or a day. They also provide a range of online courses which you can take from the comfort of your own kitchen. Current cookery courses include:
- Seasonal | From comforting soups and stews to autumn and winter entertaining, festive canape making or cooking with game, Leiths’ courses are designed to help you make the most of what’s in season. You can even learn how to create the perfect Christmas lunch!
- Plant Based | Explore the complex flavours that can be created with grains and pulses, delve into the world of plant-based Asian cookery or take a plant-based masterclass to discover why vegan and vegetarian cooking can be utterly delicious.
- Baking & Patisserie | Discover how to create the ultimate afternoon tea, master the art of patisserie, get to grips with cake-making basics, whip up indulgent chocolate desserts or explore how to bake artisan breads, sourdoughs and gluten-free doughs.
- World Cuisine | From the pastas and pizzas of Southern Italy and the fresh tastes of India to Fresh bistro classics, Peruvian street food, Japanese cooking and everything in between, there’s a course to suit all taste buds.
- The Basics | Whether it’s creating simple sauces, making artisan cheese, mastering meat and fish, or making sure your knife skills are on point, Leiths offer a range of courses to equip you with everything an aspiring chef needs to know to get started in the kitchen.
- Wine | As well as learning the intricacies of wine, spirits and sake, and what makes the perfect food pairing, the school’s WSET courses give you a globally recognised education and qualification.
- Kids | Whether learning on their own or with family members, there are lots of courses for kids at Leiths, from basic kitchen skills to sustainable cooking.
- Professional Courses | Aspiring career chefs, or those looking to develop their existing knowledge, will find a host of diplomas, foundation courses and certificates covering a multitude of skills. Courses are held across terms, during the evenings or online.