Swinton Cookery School – The Swinton Estate. Masham. Yorkshire
Swinton Cookery School is a relaxed, open demonstration kitchen housed in a converted Georgian stable wing adjacent to Swinton Park hotel, excellent for the preparation and skillful handling of great food and fine wine.
Set in 20,000 acres of idyllic countryside on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales, Swinton Cookery School is renowned for making the most of local game and fresh produce. Using fruit, vegetables and herbs from its four-acre walled garden, alongside venison, rabbit and smoked trout from the Swinton Estate, you’ll learn how to cook sustainably through each season.
Swinton Cookery School is located at Swinton Park in Ripon, North Yorkshire. The school sits adjacent to the magnificent Swinton Park Hotel – a luxury Grade II listed family owned estate, home to Earl and Countess of Swinton – it’s easy to combine your course with a well-deserved overnight break, if you choose, and a plethora of outdoor pursuits including foraging, fishing, and even staying at their Swinton Bivouac glamping site with luxury tree lodges and meadow yurts!
The Cookery School
Awarded by our ICSA inspectors as a ‘Centre of Excellence for Game’, the cookery school is housed in a converted Georgian stable wing, surrounded by open parkland as part of the private estate, including their walled wild gardens and planters which feed both the cookery school and two restaurants. Step into the relaxed, open demonstration kitchen, and you’ll enter a world of culinary delights – from masterful baking to the secrets of cooking for health and wellbeing, overseen by Chef Tutor Marc Williams.
How to Book
Booking a course at Swinton Cookery School is easy. Contact them direct, and mention your interest in ICSA, Here
Cookery Experience Gift
Purchase Greatest British Cookery School Gift Voucher, redeemable at all ICSA member schools below.
Courses at Swinton Cookery School are led by head chef tutor, Marc Williams. Marc is passionate about using produce grown on the estate to inspire students of all abilities with seasonal flavours. Having worked alongside distinguished chefs including Shaun Rankin, Lisa Allen and Tommy Banks, Marc – who previously received a Michelin Bib Gourmand award when Head Chef at the local two AA Rosette General Tarleton restaurant – has a natural aptitude for teaching and a flair for innovation.
Known for his accomplished culinary background Marc Williams combines a natural aptitude for teaching with technical skill and a flair for recipe innovation.
“I really enjoy using the Estate’s abundant seasonal produce to develop recipes for our students that are not only packed with flavour, but accessible for cooks of all abilities. Whether you’re an experienced chef or keen novice, 5 or 95, I’m sure there is a course for you to choose. For those with a specific interest in fine dining we have a Michelin Secrets course which passes on the skills I have picked up over the years at some of the top restaurants.”
Whether it’s a half-day course or a full residential programme, there’s something for every budding chef. Swinton’s current cookery courses include:
• Seasonal | Learn how to cook with the seasons and make use of what’s grown locally at different times of year.
• Wellness | Discover how to cook for better health and heal your skin from within with Swinton’s specialist wellness cookery courses, hosted by expert nutritionists.
• Baking | From artisan bread making to melt-in-the-mouth pastries and rich gateaux’s, you’ll learn the key techniques required in the world of baking.
• Game | Watch the experts as they show you how to prepare, cook and serve a rich variety of seasonal game, from pheasant to venison.
• Meat & Poultry | Mastering meat dishes is a fine art; discover what it takes to prepare, cook and carve the perfect Sunday lunch, then enjoy the fruits of your labour.
• Fish & Shellfish | Bring more healthy fish dishes into your diet and learn how to fillet, break down and perfectly cook fresh fish and seafood.
• International Dishes | From the traditional Fresh brasserie style to a masterclass in the flavours of the Middle East, explore our international cookery courses.
• Kids Courses | Learning how to cook is a fun activity that the whole family can get involved in. Swinton runs half-day courses for ages 6-9, and 10-14.
Sit back, relax and enjoy the Chef’s Table experience. Relax and let their Chef serve, as he prepares a gourmet menu for you and your guests, passed at the kitchen counter. With a wealth of experience from all over the world, the Chef brings cooking to life with an array of skills and anecdotes that will fulfill anyone with a love for food. Up to 100% of ingredients sourced from the Swinton Estate grounds.
Sign up to our ICSA Club to hear the latest news on Swinton Estate Cookery School, offers and ICSA Membership. Sign up here